Operation Friends Again
Date Extended! Donate by October 27, 2017
What is "Operation Friends Again"?
In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, Montgomery Township and Rocky Hill Borough residents are teaming up with the Montgomery Township School District to help the hurricane victims in Houston, Texas. A revitalized Operation Friends, which aided victims of Hurricane Katrina in Biloxi, Miss., in 2005, aims to collect clothing, toiletries and other items for the latest hurricane victims in Houston - between now and Friday, October 27th.
MTSD and community volunteers from “Operation Friends” will together be “adopting” two schools from the Houston Independent School District. Many of the 2000 staff and students from Dogan Elementary and Sugar Grove Middle School have lost their homes, possessions and some even their lives as Hurricane Harvey decimated their neighborhoods and schools. Volunteers at Operation Friends will personally deliver and distribute your boxes directly to a child at one of these two schools.
What can WE do? How can we help?...
Boxed Donations: We are encouraging our Montgomery families to pack a gift box for a child the age of their own or between 4 - 14 years of age. To do this:
- Pickup FREE boxes at any of our five schools (OHES, VES, LMS, UMS, MHS), the Board of Education administration office or True Value Hardware in the Shop Rite shopping center on Route 206.
- Pack the boxes with donations of new clothing (3-5 outfits with tags attached), underwear, socks, school supplies, toiletries and toys (click for suggestions).
- Label the side of the box with the gender, grade and clothing size the gift box is intended for.
- Deliver the fully packed and unsealed box to any of the MTSD school buildings or directly to Daubé Farm (home of Frank & Noel Drift) at 361 Sunset Rd., Skillman, NJ) prior to October 27th.
We encourage working with neighbors or friends to pack the gift boxes with new clothes, underwear, socks, school supplies, toiletries, and toys. A nice touch is to also add a personal note to your new friend who will be on the receiving end of the gift, and consider including a self-addressed, stamped envelope so they may respond if they so desire.
Monetary Donations: If you are unable to fill a box or unsure what to purchase, consider making a monetary donation and we will purchase items to put in a box on your behalf. Every dollar will be used to purchase box necessities. Make checks payable to "OPERATION FRIENDS" and mail to:
P.O. Box 200
Skillman, NJ 08558
Every donation, no matter how big or small, is greatly appreciated! Together we can reach our goal of 1,300 boxes!
Delivery Date: The Operation Friends trucks will depart from Montgomery Township the week of November 6th.
With all the devastating tragedies occurring in our world today, there are so many in need. Helping people is the way we heal. By donating to OPERATION FRIENDS Again, please know you will be making a direct and immediate impact on the life of a child. Let’s get our children involved and show by example the joy of helping others.
Hurricane Relief Project Resources
- Hurricane Relief Information Presentation
- Hurricane Harvey Video with Message to Montgomery
- 5 Minute News Video
- Operation Friends Video 2005 (Hurricane Katrina)
We have a lot of people counting on us so whether working with classmates, family or friends, it is all appreciated!!!
Thank you in advance for your participation!