Screenings and Handling of Symptomatic Students/Staff
- On a daily basis, students and staff will self-screen prior to the start of the school day. (Genesis Form)
- Upon entering the buildings, staff will visually observe students for symptoms. Anyone observed displaying COVID-19 symptoms will be sent, with a mask, to the Health Office for assessment. Staff will notify the Health Office staff when a student/staff member is being sent due to complaint/observed COVID-19 symptoms.
- For screening and seclusion purposes during the school day, nurses will utilize Health Offices or an auxiliary nursing location staffed by health professionals. Staff and students who are presenting symptoms of being sick will be screened and sent home as soon as possible if positive potential symptoms are identified. Each will feature an isolation area where staff/students will be at a minimum of 6 feet away from others, wearing appropriate PPE, and will be continuously monitored.
- For students, parents and guardians will be immediately notified by a member/designee of the building’s Pandemic Response team to pick up the student within 30 minutes of the call.
- Signs and symptoms of COVID-19 in children may be similar to those for common viral respiratory infections or other childhood illnesses.
- Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. Individuals with these symptoms may have COVID-19
- Fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, the new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea.
- This list does not include all possible symptoms. The CDC will continue to update this list as more is learned about COVID-19.
- Individuals with an alternate diagnosis that would explain the reason for their symptom(s) should:
- Stay home and follow the NJDOH School Exclusion List for the diagnosed illness.
- Individuals (staff and students) who have any symptom(s) consistent with COVID19, will be sent home or denied entry and referred to a healthcare provider for evaluation on whether testing is needed.
Last Modified on Wednesday at 11:31 AM