UMS Block Scheduling
We are very excited to announce that UMS will be moving to an alternative schedule in the 2015-16 school year. After years of analysis and research, we will be implementing an A/B Block Schedule in September 2015. We believe there are great benefits for students, teachers and parents. The current traditional schedule (used for the past 100 years) no longer fits best with the modern methods of instruction teachers want to embrace, or the less pressured environment students need to thrive. The block schedule is more reflective of our district and school vision for 7th and 8th graders; prioritizing curriculum, collaboration and climate - ultimately leading to a school where children are excited to learn and teachers are inspired to teach.
INFORMATIONAL LINKS for Block Scheduling
- Block Scheduling "FAQ"
- The Block Movie - a 9-minute video highlighting "in the moment" testimonial from students and staff during our January pilot
- Parent Presentation - Video of the presentation to UMS parents on February 4, 2015 (58 minutes)
- Powerpoint from Parent Presentation 2/4/15
- This We Believe: Keys to Educating Young Adolescents
- Prisoners of Time
- The Effects of Block Scheduling
- Block Scheduling: A Solution or a Problem?
- Designing an Effective Middle Level Schedule