WHAT IS A SECOND GRADER?
A second grader is…
A CHILD WHO...
- takes responsibility seriously
- is concerned about his/her actions
- wants and expects to be reminded of chores.
- wants to behave in an acceptable manner.
A CHILD WHO LIKES…
- to be read to on occasion, yet who also likes to read aloud to you.
- to hear a twice-told tale.
- to work at a chalkboard.
A READER WHO…
- recognized familiar words rapidly.
- understands a story without knowing all the words.
- may be critical of some reading materials.
- may be temporarily more concerned about mechanics than meaning.
- recognized the main idea of a story.
- enjoys humorous stories and corny jokes.
A WRITER WHO...
- strives for improved results.
- may still reverse some letters and numerals but can recognize them.
- may not finish all his/her work.
A STUDENT WHO...
- can work quietly.
- sees likenesses and differences in pictures, words, and meanings.
- can identify initial and final consonants.
- is learning to identify long and short vowels.
- can listen to directions without interrupting.
- can respond well to directions.
A CHILD WHO NEEDS...
- a personal relationship with a teacher.
- the joy received from a smile or a hug.
- a teacher who likes and understands children.
- truthful, simple answers to questions.
A CHILD WHO DOESN’T LIKE…
- to feel left out of a group.
- to experience new situations alone.