What is MSEPAG?
MSEPAG is a state-mandated*, district-level, parent-driven group charged with providing input to the local school district on system-level challenges in special education and related services.
MSEPAG’s Mission Statement
The Montgomery Special Education Parent Advisory Group (MSEPAG) exists to ensure that special education students and their parents have the opportunity to share input directly to the Montgomery Township School District regarding the policies, services, and practices that impact students with disabilities and their families.
MSEPAG is committed to a collaborative approach in working with the MTSD (Montgomery Township School District) Administration to nurture an educational community that embraces the following core values:
- All students deserve the opportunity to achieve their fullest potential. MTSD is a community that should aspire towards excellence and inclusion for every student, including those students with specialized educational support needs.
- Educational excellence should include a proactive approach to ensuring that all students have the opportunity to thrive. Students should not be made to fail to demonstrate that they need additional support.
- The MTSD “Portrait of a Graduate” should not be representative of any single pathway to success. Success should be defined as the outcome(s) most appropriate for each individual student. The emphasis should be on reinforcing students’ individual abilities instead of emphasizing their individual deficits.
* New Jersey Administrative Code 6A:14-1.2(h) states: Each board of education shall ensure that a special education parent advisory group is in place in the district to provide input to the district on issues concerning students with disabilities.
How to participate
- Parents are the core of MSEPAG. This includes parents of children with disabilities who have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or receive special education services of any kind, who are educated in schools within or outside of MTSD. Parents do not need special training or background knowledge to contribute to MSEPAG.
- MSEPAG also welcomes students and former students, Child Study Team members, teachers, human service agency representatives, and/or community/civic organization representatives to participate.
- The Director of Special Education and a representative from the Board of Education serve as liaisons to the group.
- There is no membership fee.
Public meetings and more information
Scheduled MSEPAG meetings are open to the public.
- MSEPAG welcomes anyone interested in special education.
- This is an opportunity to share successful educational experiences and express general concerns regarding educational issues for students with disabilities.
- It can help you better understand how to work with the school district and how special education can meet the needs of students with disabilities.
📧 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you,Montgomery SEPAG