The Board of Education requires that pupils enrolled in the schools of this district attend school regularly in accordance with the laws of the State. The educational program offered by this district is predicated on the presence of the pupil and requires continuity of instruction and classroom participation. The regular contact of pupils with one another in the classroom and their participation in a well-planned instructional activity under the tutelage of a competent teacher are vital to this purpose.
Attendance Policy - #5200 located on the District Website
The Montgomery Township Board of Education recognizes its responsibility to provide a thorough and efficient education for every student within the district in keeping with the prevailing laws of the State of New Jersey. In order for administrators and teachers to successfully fulfill their responsibilities to students, it is essential that all students accept their responsibility to attend school as scheduled, and that parents/guardians support and reinforces their child’s regular attendance. To conform to state regulations school districts define “excused” and “unexcused” absences as:
An “excused absence” as defined by Montgomery Township School District is a student’s absence from school for a full day or portion of a day for the reasons listed below:
- The student’s illness supported by a written letter from the parent upon student’s return to school at the principal’s discretion,
- Personal illness (health care provider documentation)*On office script pad or stationary - Must include the diagnosis, duration of absences to be excused, and date of appointment.*
- Court appearance (court notice to appear),
- Where appropriate, when consistent with Individualized Education Programs, the individuals with Disabilities Act, accommodation plan under 29 U.S.C. 794 and 705(20), and individualized health care plans,
- Suspension from school,
- Family illness or death supported by a written letter from the parent upon the student’s return to school up to five days,
- Professional appointments that cannot be scheduled during non-school hours (health care provider documentation),
- School sponsored curricular/co-curricular activities held during the school day or requiring early dismissal,
- New Jersey state approved religious holidays pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:36:14.
An “unexcused absence” is a student’s absence for all or part of a school day for any reason other than those listed above. Though a student may be absent with parental approval for reasons other than those listed above, the absence will be defined as verified but “unexcused.” It is also recognized that the parents/guardians may not always take their child to the doctor every time he/she is sick. The district assumes that the “unexcused” absences will be used when it is necessary to miss school and documentation cannot be provided.
Notice to School of Student Absence
Parents should report all absences through Genesis or call the attendance line at (609) 466-7610, (select #4, then 1) as early as possible. This does not “excuse” an absence but informs the school that your child is absent with your knowledge. The student’s absence will be deemed either “excused” or “unexcused” based upon the documentation explaining the reason for the absence (s) that is presented to the Main Office by the student following their return to school. The school will make every effort to contact parents/guardians of any student who is absent for whom a phone call from home was not received.