Algebra 2 Honors
Overview Algebra II Honors is the third course in the honors program in mathematics. The course reviews basic terminology, concepts, skills, and applications of Algebra I by means of a critical examination of the real number system. Algebra II furthers the development of working with inequalities, equations, graphing, and factoring: all topics introduced in the first level of Algebra. The content of Algebra II is organized around families of functions, including linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, radical, and rational. As students study each family of functions, they will learn to represent them in multiple ways - as verbal descriptions, equations, tables, and graphs. They will also learn to model real-world situations using functions in order to solve problems arising from those situations. Major topics are then covered that expand the students’ knowledge of Algebra and prepare them for higher level mathematics courses that include: simplifying and solving rational expressions and equations; solving and graphing polynomial functions; working with powers, roots, and radicals; sequences and series; data analysis and probability; and trigonometry. Throughout the course, students use scientific and graphing calculators as a tool for processing data, performing calculations, and exploring. Scientific and graphing calculators are required.
- Three Ring Binder
- Scientific Calculator
- Graphing Calculator (Ti-84 Plus CE)
- You are not required to bring the textbook to class. If we are using the textbook in class, you will be able to access the online textbook through your device.
- Home access to a Computer/Chrome tablet
- These standards are designed to promote responsibility and encourage the students to seek the appropriate help when they encounter difficulty.
- Hard Copy Textbook: Algebra 2 by Larson, Publisher Holt McDougal, 2012, ISBN 978-0-54764715-9
- https://my.hrw.com/ and www.classzone.com (Online Textbook Resources)
- https://classroom.google.com (Classroom materials)
- http://www.brightstorm.com/math/geometry/ (Video Lessons)
- http://www.khanacademy.org/ (Video Lessons)
- http://www.kutasoftware.com/freemain.html (Free worksheets with Answers)
2019 - 2020